True bridges between the home and the nursing home, the concept of assisted living still suffers from certain preconceived ideas among the population. There are several misconceptions as it relates to an assisted living facility. Let’s take stock by recalling some essential characteristics.
Myth #1: “It’s overpriced!”
This misconception has a hard skin. However, in the United States, there are existing economic solutions. It is important to understand what is included in the price and what is not as it varies from residence to residence.
Taxes, insurance and waste disposal are always included in the price. Most of the time, water, gas and electricity are too. Note that each apartment has an emergency call service in case of need. This system is usually included in the price. Additional services (laundry, restaurant, etc.) are optional. In addition, think about the fact that you will leave a larger home and all the costs that may be attached to it.
Myth #2: “It’s like a nursing home!”
On the contrary, today, the vast majority of nursing homes are aimed at the aging and those in great loss of autonomy. Conversely, serviced residences are designed for autonomous or semi-autonomous people, whether they are alone or as a couple. However, assisted living facilities are independent dwellings, fully adapted to the age of the residents.
Myth #3: “I will no longer be able to receive my loved ones”
Autonomy and independence are the key words in serviced residences. If you have a loved one in an assisted living facility, you will still be able to see them or visit them. Don’t want to cook that day? The restaurant of the residence can delight your taste buds!
Myth #4: “I’m going to have to give up my car”
And no, you won’t necessarily become a pedestrian. On request, a parking space can be made available. If you have no transportation, some facilities set up a free shuttle system to local shops several times a week.
Myth #5: “What am I going to do with my pet?”
Rest assured: pets are mostly accepted in assisted living facilities. Your life companion will be able to accompany you in this new adventure.
Myth #6: “I’m not going to feel at home”
This information may change your mind:
– You will feel at home: you have your own key and manage your movement as you see fit.
– From the studio to the three-bedroom apartment with terrace, you can live in a furnished room according to your desires. The goal is to feel at home. Your furniture and personal items will follow you to your new home.
– The serviced residence is a solution against loneliness: buildings can range from 15 to 50 dwellings. Thus, you will regularly meet neighbors and be able to establish new social ties.
Why Should You Consider Assisted Living?
- You are 60 years of age or older
- You are autonomous and need help with your daily care
- Your home is no longer closely adapted to your needs
- You want to keep the same pace of life while evolving in a comfortable and secure environment
Discover assisted living facilities located around you, such as the ideal St Petersburg assisted living facility, which complements your specific needs.